Friday, October 16, 2020

Research 9, the short

 I've come to some conclusions about a couple of topics after watching the seven-minute short film, but I still have a lot of questions. Let's discuss the location of the short film. The film is set in a post-apocalyptic future where there is no sign of existence except for nine ragdolls that hold actual souls. Each ragdoll has a tag, which I discovered later in the film but will discuss when we arrive. The 9 ragdolls aren't the only survivors on the ruined planet; there's even a machine cat-like monster that tries to kill them all for unknown reasons, but the creature was present for the majority of the film. The soul-snatching machine cat-like beast kills 9's comrade in front of his eyes throughout the film. Then he tries in vain to catch the beast in a cage, but it is eventually killed. In the movie, a green blinking portal-like entity appears and disappears at random. The film's intent and use of the portal-like object is very cool at the end. It opens a doorway when merged with the creature's eye, allowing the dead ragdolls, all of whom have numbers, 9's friends and family to finally be set free.

    As a result, I realized that every single ragdoll has a number as a name. I thought the lack of dialogue in the film was fascinating and very cool. It did, though, make it somewhat strange in terms of how I was expected to completely comprehend the storyline and acts taken in, but I also grasped a significant portion of the plot. I was also struck by 9's growth as a character. I thought he was very stupid at first, but as the movie progressed, he used fast and powerful thinking skills to eventually destroy the monster. I also noticed the directorial style and how it tangled into the ending of the film which was brilliant. I would probably give this film a six out of ten. I rate it a six just because I don't understand everything such as the origin of the ragdolls, how earth became apocalyptic, or how the creatures began to exist but I still thoroughly enjoyed this film. Even though I tend to love short films just because of the short time it takes to watch one, this one was very well rounded.
    I was also struck by the director's composition and how it intertwined with the film's brilliant conclusion. This film is potentially a six out of ten for me. I gave it a six because I didn't get anything, such as how the ragdolls came to be, how the world turned dystopian, or how the beasts came to be, but I also had a great time watching it. About the fact that I prefer short films due to the limited amount of time required to watch them, this one was very well-rounded. Now it's time to see if any of my questions have been answered by watching the whole movie! The director's composition, and how it combines with the film's incredible ending, really struck me. For me, this film has the potential to be a six out of ten. I gave it a six because I didn't understand how the ragdolls were created, how the future is dystopian, or how the beasts were created, but I enjoying watching it, and I typically don't watch short films because I feel like they're super fast in pace and typically never answer my questions and leave me wondering a lot of things but this film was different, it answered my questions and was again really enjoyable.





No comments:

Post a Comment